By Steve Staub (Staub Manufacturing Solutions)
MADE in DAYTON blog has been on the leading edge of a lot of positive things happening in our region's manufacturing industry. We have worked hard to change the misconceptions about the industry. We’ve brought some much needed attention to the workforce development topic and the need for skilled workers.
We’ve provided in-depth articles about sales, marketing, exporting and emerging technologies like 3D printing. We understand, though, that the manufacturing business is dynamic, always changing, and we want to continue to offer you relevant content every week.
So, I want to ask you, "What is important to you... NOW?"
I recently had lunch with a friend that I hadn’t seen in a while. We talked for a bit and then he asked me a very interesting question, “What keeps you up at night?”. Wow, what a pointed question! He wasn't asking about my minor concerns. He was looking to see what major issues I was dealing with in my business. You know, the kind of issues that you can't stop thinking about and are still there nagging at you when it's time for bed.
And those are the kind of issues I'm asking you about today.
You might be thinking that it would be hard to narrow your concerns down to just one major issue. There is a lot going on. Here are some current issues that may be on your mind:
- Manufacturing seems to be growing yet the economy is still questionable.
- Many companies are still having problems borrowing money even though interest rates are low.
- Unemployment is still high and yet there are literally thousands of unfilled manufacturing jobs in the Dayton Region.
- There is no solid pipeline of skilled workers for the future of our industry.
- Many companies are scared to spend money because of uncertainty in the markets.
- Companies are scared about Obamacare and are being told rates will increase 90% and higher!
- Everyday the Federal Government spends far more money than it brings in.
This list could go on for pages but I don’t want to get you depressed!
We try not to talk too much here about the negative stuff. We’re pretty optimistic people and we try to focus on all the good stuff that's happening in the region. However, we do believe that we need to be aware of the issues that are facing our industry so we can be prepared to take them head on.
Which is why I'm asking the question today, "What's important to you now? In the coming months we'll be lining up experts here on this blog to help address the issues that you tell us are the most important.
I heard someone say recently, “We're doing well now, but I’m concerned about the future.” Maybe that's what you're thinking too. Well, what is it that needs to change to make you feel more comfortable about the future? We'll do what we can to address it.
Ok, it's time to hear from you. Share what you care most about right now in the comment section below or send us an email at info@MADEinDAYTONblog.com.